Packings Lists and Time Tables

I haven't bothered to update this blog in awhile because I simply had nothing to say.  Since we've last chatted, I've gone to the gym a bit, went for a few hikes, ran over to visit my friend in Minneapolis and my father in Virginia, and spent some time in my brother's second grade classroom.  Riveting stuff, I know, but nothing that I felt needed to be immortalized in type.  I have also been trying to get my butt to China.  Let's just talk about that for a bit on the off-chance, somehow, someone else sees this blog is heading over.  Here's some dull information.

Time Tables
The Criminal Background Check (CBC) from the FBI took over 13 weeks to reach me.  It was taking so long I ordered a second CBC from my state which only took a month.  Getting an appointment with a doctor who was willing to sign a paper saying, no, I don't show signs of Yellow Fever or psychosis took about two weeks.  Sending all my paperwork to China and getting my paperwork back took five weeks.  All in all, I signed my contract December 12th and just got my visa on April 19th.

Money Flowin' Out
Fingerprint cards and CBC= $40
Medical Evaluation= $500 (I have no American insurance) 
Visa= About $400 (Visa+agency fee+two-way overnight shipping)
Travel Medical Insurance (My school doesn't offer insurance.  Awesome)= $330
Airfare to Beijing= $620 (Purchased 13 days in advance)
Clothes and stuff= I've dropped about $500.

Packing List
So, when I travel for a year or more, I use two military duffle bags.  They hold a lot. I can wear them at the same time (front and back backpacks).  They weigh next to nothing empty.  Most importantly, they roll up and can fit under my bed or in a drawer.  A lot of smaller apartments don't really have great places to store giant rolling suitcases.  That purple bag is my carry-on and usually has a pillow in it as well as a complete change of clothes. I have a replacement for it this time, a nice 45-L Ospry backpack that is just the right size to sneak on as a carry-on EVEN for Spirit airline.  

Here's what I am dragging to Beijing.

8 sticks of deodorant (A lot of places don't use antipersepacnt since it causes cancer or something.)  
6 tubes of toothpaste (Same story about fluoride)
Tweezer and nail cutters (I have nice ones I like)
1 unopened bottle of ibuprofen 
1 unopened tube of bacitracin
About 12 DVDs ('cause I am sure you care: Howl's Castle Titus Andronicus, Masterpiece Theater's Jane Eyre, Gone With the Wind, Emperor's New Groove, Beauty and the Beast, Parade's End, Fantasia 2000, and The Prince of Egypt.  I really need to just buy these on iTunes. I have a lot of other movies there, too.) 
My Kindle and charger
Macbook, charger, and freakin' spare charger
USB junk drive
Nikon 3200, a couple of lenses, and back-up batteries.
Two universal power adapters
1 box of super tampons and pads (gives me a little time to find something I like)
1 skirt suit
1 day-or-evening dress
4 pairs of pantyhose
12 pairs of trouser socks
2 sets of workout clothes (which usually double as PJs)
4 pairs of slacks
2 pairs of jeans
1 down coat
8 summer shirts (work and weekend)
8 spring/summer shirts (work and weekend)
4 winter shirts (work and weekend)
6 bras
24 pairs of NEW undies.  (I felt like my socks and undies didn't get delightfully clean the first time I worked in Japan so...)
1 pair of sandals 
1 pair of sneakers
1 pair of walkers
1 pair of ankle boots
1 pair of heels

Most of this stuff won't be making it home with me to make room for the shit I am probably gonna buy.

Wasn't this exciting?

Comments