Postcard Three (Mostly a Photo Dump)

   
Awesome street art. 

And so ends my week in Kuala Lumpur. I was tempted to just "live within me means" for the past twenty four hours, but I pulled another 80 ringgit out of the ATM (22 USD) and with that I was able to eat three meals, take the train out of KL to Putrajaya, and buy my bus ticket to the airport. I am going to miss being able to afford stuff. Australia seems expensive. 

Not even two bucks. I hate to keep talking about prices but... After a week in Japan I needed this! AND as a bonus, it was fantastic! Spicy, minty, and...buttery? 

So after checking out and dropping my bag in the cloak room, I scoped out the get to the airport situation. One can take the train if they have 35 ringgit burning a hole in their pocket OR take the bus for 10 even though it takes thirty minutes more. That's fine. So. What's this Putrajaya place all about? I pretty much just picked this place at random. The train going there was departing in four minutes. 

Woooot!!!!

So, you know how sometimes you just get lucky? Turns out Putrajaya is a popular destination, resorts and great architecture, AND there was no one there...
"I walk this lonely road..." 

After I arrived, I looked at an area map at the station to see which direction to head. The station offered one hour of free wifi--Malaysia, I love you--so I reloaded Google maps. So, according to some stranger on the Internet, the city is just a little too spread out to walk in a day. Okay. Challenge accepted. 

And it was hot, humid, heavy sunlight, and I had NOTHING to drink. I am so sunburnt...

As Alice and the Cheshire Cat taught us, when you don't know where you are going, it doesn't matter what road you take. Let's turn left. 

Empty road...

Empty road...

Am I allowed to be here??? Is the city closed????

And then...
Cool bridge!!!

Neat building! Found Malaysia's money!!!

No cars. I can stand in the center of the damned universe!!!

Prime minister's house. 

I guess you need an... Invitation or something...

This place is beautiful and there are NO people!!! It's like the zombie apocalypse has happened and it's just me... In Malaysia. Did not see that one coming. 

12:32. Well done. 

Well, I arrived at the mosque I wanted to visit just as costing hours had a break so I had 90 minutes to kill. I could hike around the park on the hill or...

I could cop a squat in the Prine Minister's yard on the river and reread "The Solitary Cyclist." And, once that was finished, I could waddle towards the front area of the giant park...
And have another rest. It really was too muggy to be running up and down stairs. Found a nice bench, took my shoes off, and just wondered what I would have to do to retire in Malaysia. 
I mean... I could live here. 

2 o'clock! Mosque time! The best part of these photos is that the security guard is the one who took these. "Now, stand over here. Okay. Look down. I will take the photo." So, don't judge me for being disrespectful or whatever. And, remember, there is no God so... No harm no foul. 

I got sorted into Hufflepuff? 

And then the Phantom dropped the chandelier on me. 

It was fun to play around at the mosque with the world's most bored at work security guard. Again, the only one who existed on the planet on July 16th was me so... The guard and I were glad to find a fellow survivor of the nuclear disaster. 

Alas, since I wasn't terribly interested in repopulating the world with a stranger, I told him I was off to pick berries and made my escape. I don't really want to bother narrating what going for a walk is like. Maybe you've been for a walk before. I do want to share some of these great buildings with ya. 

Omg!!! Two people! Mr. Guard is going to be pleased. 


Looks Photoshopped. 




Alright. Let's start heading back. Google says its just over the bridge. 

Uh... This bridge? This bridge that is still under construction and not connected to land on either side?

Okay, no problem. There is another bridge just down road. Around this time, however, the sun really started to get to me. Google map also dumped me on a highway, so I backtracked to a side road which was supposed to connect to the one I was on but...

This... Is not a road. Whatever. Let's see where this almost path goes. 

Eventually I ended up on another deserted road BUT it had a sidewalk so...

Damnit!!! But the station is just over there... Highway in the way though... Backtracked, went down a third road... Dead ended into the highway again. Seriously??? You know what...

I just ran across a seven-lane freeway with barely a hesitation. That can't be a good sign of my mental state. Ohhhhh... And look at that forming sunburn. 

Putrajaya: the Land of Behind-Schedule Road Construction

Obviously, third time was the charm. When in doubt, kids, just make sure your sneakers are tied and dart across the freeway. It will be fine. Thank Gid the zombie apocalypse kept traffic down!

Tired...

Baz Luhrmann was right about the sunscreen. 

So, that's about it. There were two meals today, so many bottles off juice, water, and the local Gatorade once I got back into KL. Phone is now 100% charged and life is good. 
Greetings from the Movie Lounge at KLIA2.

One final comment. So... Most companies are charging for checked bags now. Fine. Jerks. Air Aisa actually weighs your checked bag. It has to be under 7kg. Well, I packed according, putting my heavy things together and on the top of my backpack. My backpack came in at 7.1 kg (the lady let that point one slide). My PURSE, which was not weighed, however, and casually chilling on my arm with my scarf draped across it... I headed back over to the free-use scale just to see... 

Fight the man.

That's all for now! Good bye, KL. I love you!!!






buttery?

Comments