Postcard from Rome

Let's do this! (Roman Forum)

I gave myself five days and four nights to enjoy Rome. Perfect! If I had more time, there is still more I'd like to do and see, but travel should be like a good dessert where you finish going, "wait, no. I still have room!"

Here's the gist-of-it in pics. 

Pizza should be served by weight not slice. I'm hungry. No more getting screwed by a small slice. (Just outside Vatican City)

Spent a lot of time in and thinking about churches. My thoughts may have differed from my fellow visitors. (St. Peter's)

When you're really sick and actually forget the mechanics of how to smile. I was really worried it was flu at first. Now I am just trying to get the drowning feeling to go away. (Trevi Fountain)

I can find Sherlock everywhere. Skills. 

I caved in and got medicine eventually. (Near the Spanish Steps)

I saw this advertised online before coming and then stumbled on it my last night in Rome. Let's Vivaldi! (All Saints' Church)

Rome was like a foster child for me. I know I was supposed to love it, but I didn't feel it at first. I got there. I got there. I love the water everywhere. I love the feeling of entitlement, the feeling of deserving ancient vistas everywhere I looked. I love the food and I love how walking friendly this place is! Just... Pick a direction and you can walk for miles! Did you know Rome has a Chinatown? It does. 

I walked a lot! At one point, I pretty much walked out of Rome. 

Rome is probably one of the best places I've been to as a solo traveler. I felt like being single and thirty made me not blend in with the throngs of other tourists. Walking from place to place, I never got harassed by the dudes hawking selfie sticks or begging for cash. Waiters never called to me from across the street and those Hop on/Hop off bus people never jumped in my way to push a tour. 

The pissy look of betrayal when you are mistaken for a local but then go to the tourist attraction. Did you know they are going to reconstruct the stadium floor in upcoming years? This view will be gone! Also, movie myths smashed all over the place, no Christians were ever executed here! Other places, yes, but not here.  (Colosseum

I made great progress is my ability to walk into a restaurant solo. It's awkward, still, but I didn't grocery-store-and-hide once. This is another area where being solo serves well. A lot of places have completely different prices for standing at the bar or at sitting at a table. I don't need to talk to a companion. Standing here is fine. 
Not everywhere has the seating fee. I had fancy pizza at a small, romantic restaurant. I've decided I am in a long-term, committed relationship with my hair and we should go out more. (Trastevere)

And, of course, there is the usual perk of the numbers game. Two people? Well, that visiting time is pretty booked or that restaurant is pretty full, but one? Yeah, we can fit you in. I was told you HAVE to buy tickets for the underground tour online for the Colosseum 'cause if books so fast. Nope. Walked right up and the guy was like, "well, we have one space left at 11:40? Go get ice cream and come back." And that crowded Irish pub I wanted? Nope, I don't need a table. 

You know what's hard to find in Beijing? Irish food. Hell yes. Irish pub for me. Y
eah, I pretty much ate my way through Rome. This was way more tastey than it looks. (Scholars Irish Pub)

Plus, as one person, it was, I think, easier to pass as a religious person and not a typical tourist, so in a lot of the off-limits-to-tourists chapels or closures for mass, I could just walk right pass the groups holding cameras being held back. "Por la massa." Security would hold open the door sand keep the riff-raff away. 

Turning off my mobile like a good person. Of course I am not taking a picture. (One of the restricted sections of St. Peter's) 

Even prices weren't bad. Eating out three times a day, paying for the occasional attraction, and lodgings, I can in under $100 a day. ($40 for the room, $20ish for food, $20ish for museums and bonus purchases.) I mean, I can't afford to live like this indefinitely, but it's a vacation and its do-able. 

You know what doesn't cost much? Enjoying CLEAN air and warm(er) sunshine in a park over looking one of the aqueducts. 

Okay, not a great post here full of meaning and wit, but there it is. Was.  Rome. Alright then. 

See you soon, Florence!

Comments

Post a Comment