Chilling in Budapest

I'm not in Bratislava. I left there yesterday but finished my Vienna musings instead. Currently I am soaking in a bathtub large enough for three listening to the Trans Siberian Orchestra and drinking cheap sparkling wine (even though I think I might be allergic to it). 

Look how far away my feet are. I love this tub. 

Budapest. The last leg of this part of the journey. I leave here Sunday and then regain continuous companionship with first Monica in Iceland, my father in Virginia, my mom and siblings in Vegas, and then... Work the next day. 

Schedule is full. 

Hence the lazy 24 hours I've had. I think one of the most difficult things I've learned to do when I am wandering is to have lazy mornings or early evenings whenever I want. I mean, when you are only in a city for a few days, the temptation to run yourself ragged is easy to fall victim to. There is so much to see, do, and since I tend to prefer to walk whenever possible what takes some people one day could take me three. Instead of catching a bus the other day in Bratislava, I walked seven miles to Devin. On ice. My feet are gross. 

Over the bridge and through the town, the wrong direction I go! 

Somehow, I lost my little research book of things to do I made in Beijing so this morning I just... Went outside. I figured Budapest is big and lovely. Surely if I just head into the orange part of Google maps, I'll be amused. Besides, tonight I have the whole apartment to myself so I wanted to take advantage of that. 

Star is where I was. Red is direction I was going. Blue is where I was. Oops. Wrong way. 

Ahh.. Bathtub. Champaign. Music. 

I don't have a bathtub in Beijing. Hell. The water isn't clean. I don't even enjoy taking a shower (which may or may not have water randomly) in my nasty bathroom. This is nice. 

Speaking of nice, lavender mulled wine. 

I've got ballet tickets tomorrow, about $20 left in Hungarian whatever, no real plans and three more days. 

My neighborhood is DIRECTLY off a main road in downtown Budapest. 

Nice. 

Comments