Day Two on the OCT



 
Here we go!



Okay. So. I dunno. 

Trying to blast through the nitty gritty, eventually got up and got going. Best night’s sleep of my life, that was not, but okay. We are good. Got going a bit later than I wanted to, but not a big deal. 

The day started with a shipwreck. Omen of things to come?


Huh. Okay. Plan B. 

Got to a beach closure that meant I had to walk back to the 101, road walk that for what felt like 50 years (it wasn’t THAT bad, but I wasted a lot of time trying to hitch around the less-safe road walk. Oh well), and ended up back on the sand eventually. Lunch break was probably the highlight of the day, even though I wasn’t hungry, cause I could elevate me foots and just… I think I might have dozed off a couple of times under my umbrella (GOOD gear choice). Could see the ocean but wasn’t being pelted by sand. It was a nice moment. Alas, I only gave myself 30 minutes for break, though it ended up being closer to 45 after packing up and getting going again. 


Rumor says she is still sitting here on the sand to this day. 


Right foot is hurting. Left foot is hurting. Bottom of the front of my left foot is hurting. Huh. That’s new. It’s like there is a fold in the sock rubbing the skin the wrong way, but when I look I can’t find a problem. Also, at some point, I got a massive blister on the inside of my pinky toe that ripped. By the time I pulled over for what I thought was a hot spot, I had a ripped flap of skin full of sand. 


Happy road walking with ouchie foot face


Bummer. Strategically tried to both wash off the very red and almost bloody thumbnail sized bit of raw skin AND not waste too much water. No water until I’m off the sand at…Gearheart? Well. Dabbed a generous dollop of antibacterial and wrapped it in some moleskin. Hopefully that will keep out most of the sand. Glad this happened after we had to wade through some SUPER sketchy water on the way back to the 101. 


This is where rashes come from. 


All in all. Um. I don’t know what I was expecting, wasn’t really expecting much, but today wasn’t it. It also hurt my feelings that while I was typing out part of this whole walking towards Seaside, another OCT biker who left after me this morning just went zooming by. Dang it. Why am I so slow? It’s not fair that I’m more uncomfortable AND slower than other hikers. 


After I gave up trying for a hitch, someone swung by and gave me a water. Whoa. Trail magic???


(Time jump!) made it to Seaside. Thought I’d be here around 3 but didn’t make it until 5:30. Whoops. Glad I went ahead and doubted my mileage early in the day. Campsite was another 7.5 miles down the line AND I need to do a resupply. In a hostel bunkhouse with three other chicas. Place could use a little TLC, but it is on a river and had energetic crows in the backyard so. Winner winner. It’s also one of those hostels where we each get a bunk with a curtain. Love those. Got a light and my stuff charging. 


The town is Seaside, but the hostel is ON the river. 


Ended the day with that toe blister ripping off, a few more blisters between my toes, and a massive blister on the pad of my foot. I’m going to ask everything to heal nicely tonight while I’m sleeping and am going to try to keep it under ten miles tomorrow. 




Steps: 49,950

20.48 miles

5512 calories burnt

22:16, bed time!



Comments